Wednesday, March 9, 2011

strategies

My last post for week 7 got me thinking about shopping strategies, things people do to keep them from impulse buying. I remembered a few that my friends told me throughout the years. Everyone seems to have one or two that work for them. I should probably adopt a couple of theirs, here they are:


1.) The Paper Clip:


My best friend's mom would take out all the cash she needed for one day in the morning. Then she would separate them into piles ( for example, a $20 for gas money, $40 for groceries ... ect.) She would write down on little pieces of paper what that money was for, and then paperclip it to the money. So instead of having a loose $20 in your wallet, it would be labeled, and have a purpose. That kept her from just spending it without thinking. 


2.) The Number:


When I used to go shopping with my old friend's in high-school, before they would buy anything they would look at the price, and seriously consider it. Then, they would think to themselves, "Out of ten, how badly do I really want to buy this?". By assigning a number to the item, it becomes a lot easier to see is as a product or an item, instead of getting all attached to it. They would also have a "cut off number" in their head. So, if their rating for that product fell below the number, they wouldn't buy it. For example, If I saw a sweater I really liked, and gave it a rating of 7 out of 10, and my cutoff number was 8, I wouldn't but the sweater.

These are a couple that I have seen work in action. 
And here are some more strategies that have been recommended online:


- Know what you Came For
- Shop with a Friend
- Sleep on the Decision 
- Distract Yourself




What about you guys? Do you have any shopping strategies?


- Katrina

Clothes on a Rack

2 comments:

  1. great examples of shopping strategies! I have one a friend told me particularly about clothes:
    When you're trying on the clothes item that you are thinking of buying, ask yourself "Do I look better in this than in the clothes I was wearing when I walked in the store?" If not, don't buy it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like those strategies! but I will never be able to follow.... I mean if I don't really have much money, I would just not go to a shopping mall, and just stay home because even if I have a little amount of money, I would want to buy something, or spend money on food !

    ReplyDelete